Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Best Banana Bread

No, I'm not being vain... that is really the name of the recipe! (but it is very yummy!)

Preheat oven to 350 F.

2 1/4 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 c. butter
1 1/4 c. sugar
2-4 ripe bananas
2 eggs
3/4 c sour milk (buttermilk, or regular milk with lemon juice added) or sour cream

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and soda in a large bowl. In a separate large bowl, cream butter and sugar.  Beat eggs and add to butter/sugar mix. Mash bananas; add and mix. Add milk; mix. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix. Bake 45 - 50 minutes in 2 greased loaf pans in the center of the oven.

7 comments:

  1. Okay, I can verify that this IS the best, the very best banana bread recipe. I've been using it for years and my family loves it. The only thing different I do is this....I beat the sugar and butter together in the mixing bowl. In a separate bowl I smush the bananas and beat in the egg. I add them to the sugar/butter mixture then add the milk (or sour cream). Any way you make it is wonderful though. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right.. When I gave you the recipe, I think that I told you that was the way you are supposed to do it!! So, I'll go adjust the recipe, but the last time I made it, I just creamed the butter and sugar and then added everything else and it still came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Savannah and I made this last night. It is so yummy we have eaten 1 1/2 loaves already. We did add chopped walnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you liked it! Our loaves don't last long either. We all love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made this again. I used 1/4 wheat flour this time and it was still good. Also, I only have one loaf pan now (my aluminum one got misplaced in the move) so I made one loaf and one muffin pan full. I can't wait for the girls to have their homemade muffins for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you used wheat flour. I keep thinking that I should try replacing the butter with applesauce...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used half butter and half applesauce. I think that when adding wheat flour it should have a bit more liquid (either applesauce or sour cream/milk). It was a little dry, which was not usual for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...