Thursday, August 19, 2010

Gyros... Glorious gyros!!!

I LOVE gyros... and I HATE that I only get to eat them once a year at Fair time... but I found a recipe that curbs my craving!!.. and I don't even buy them at the Fair anymore!!!



Tzatzki Sauce
1 1/2 c. whole plain yogurt (drain off excess water, if needed)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp salt
10 mint leaves, chopped
1/2 large onion, diced
2 med cucumbers, de-seeded and diced


1 lb sausage
1 lb ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 large onion, diced
1/4 c breadcrumbs
salt & pepper
Handful of basil (optional)
Lettuce, washed, thinly sliced
Tomato, thinly sliced
Naan* or Pita Bread, warmed in oven or grill (in foil) or lightly toasted

In a mixing bowl, add yogurt, garlic, salt, mint leaves, onion and cucumber. Stir to mix. Cover and refrigerate until needed. I try to prepare this a couple of hours to days in advance because it gives the flavors more time to mix.

In another bowl, mix sausage, beef, garlic, breadcrumbs, onion, s&p and basil. Mix together with your hands (knead, mush) until all ingredients are well dispersed. From into patties and either grill or cook on med until well done.  Remove from heat and slice the patties into thin rounds. (so you'll end up with 3-4" circles of very thinly sliced burger).

Place meat in warmed bread, add lettuce and tomato and top with Tzatkzi Sauce. And devour!

* I've always used split Pita bread.... until last week! The Naan worked great and didn't fall apart when you filled it too full!!  I'm sold. I will be using the Naan from now on. It was fabulous!

1 comment:

  1. whose hand and thumb are in the above picture? Yes these are very nice to eat.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...