Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Verde

I love green salsa. I really prefer it to red any day! This is such a simple recipe! I use this recipe to dip chips in, on tacos, as enchilada sauce. Its great! I grow them in my garden--easy to grow and super easy to preserve!!


Tomatillos (enough to fill one layer in a 9 X 13 pan), paper skins removed, rinsed
4 cloves garlic, peeled whole
1 med onion, peeled and quartered
1 small Jalapeno (remove seeds for a milder salsa, include seeds if you like it spicier!)
Handful of Cilantro, washed
1/2 teas Cumin
1 T Salt (or more to taste)
Pepper (to taste)

Preheat the oven to 350. Place rinsed tomatillos in a 9 x 13 baking dish with the onion and garlic. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the tomatillos are soft and starting to shrivel. Let cool. When cool enough, puree tomatillos, garlic, and onion in the blender. Add cilantro and blend again.  Add cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Blend again. Chill in refrigerator. Serve

4 comments:

  1. I love the verde sauce/salsa too but haven't liked any of the store bought kinds. I'm definitely going to try to make this next time I have mexican food.....maybe this weekend. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so yummy!! I hope you agree! And once you've made it a few times you can fine tune the amounts to make it how you like it!!
    Can you find tomatillos in the grocery store there? I have so many in the freezer--I wish I could share!! I've never bought them at the store here, I wouldn't even know where to look!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sell tomatillos at all the grocery stores here. Right by the red tomatoes. You are so lucky that you can grow all those wonderful things in your garden! Next year I'm planning on it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great.... Its so easy to grow and this salsa is so easy to make!! And yummy....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...