Sunday, September 6, 2009

Insalata Caprese

We have these 3 or 4 nights a week when the garden is producing tomatoes and basil. Simple and yummy!


Italian Salad Dressing
1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4" thick
2-3 ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/4" thick
20-30 basil leaves
Salt & Pepper to taste
Italian bread, thinly sliced

Slice cheese and 'marinate' in dressing. This struck me as strange the first time I made the recipe. I thought it would make the cheese all slimy and gross, but it didn't. Let sit for an hour or two. On a plate, lay a piece of cheese, then a basil leaf--slightly staggered, then a slice of tomato--slightly staggered. Repeat this pattern in a circle around the plate. Sprinkle on a bit of S & P if you want... Enjoy on top of a slice of Italian bread... or just eat as it is!

Variations:

Flip and Bake: Lay the tomato on a baking sheet, with a piece of basil directly on top, then a slice of cheese on top of that. Don't over lap these as they will all melt together.  Bake 350 for about 10 minutes until the cheese has melted. Don't over bake as the cheese will run everywhere and the basil will crisp up or get too chewy.

Shredded cheese: My daughter likes these made with a shredded 4-cheese mix. Prepare like flip and bake, just sprinkle some shredded cheese on top of the basil leaf and bake!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds so good! That top picture is great too. I love the colors. Do you eat it just like that? Or can you put it on thin sliced crusty bread? I think that would be really good...especially with the flip and bake ones. I might have to go and get some basil from the store and try it out this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding me about the bread. Yes, you can eat it with bread, but you don't have to. It's yummy both ways! I'll go add that to the recipe! Thanks..
    I have so much basil in my garden, wish I could just send you a few pounds of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love caprese and the flip and bake looks awesome! Your kids are such adventurous eaters!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...