Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Chicken Noodle Soup




Whole Chicken
3 1/2 qts Water, or enough to cover chicken
1 Onion, peeled, quartered, and sliced
2 t. Italian seasoning
2 t garlic powder
1 1/2 t. lemon pepper seasoning
3 bouillon cubes
salt and pepper to taste



Add all ingredients to a big pot. Cook until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from pot and set aside to cool.

Remove and throw away onion. When chicken is cool, pick all chicken off the bones. Throw the bones away. Set chicken aside.

Next ingredients:

2 cups sliced carrots (about 4 regular carrots)
2 cups sliced celery with leafy tops (about 4 also)
3 cups uncooked egg noodles
salt and pepper to taste (if needed)

Bring stock back to a boil, add carrots and cook for 3 minutes.

Add celery and cook about 6 minutes.

Add egg noodles and cook according to package.

Add chicken and cook 2 more minutes.

Add salt and pepper if needed.

Note:  When I made this today, after adding the carrots and celery I added the chicken back in.  Then I took out half of the soup (about 8 cups) to cool so I can put it in jars and freeze it for future use.  When I make this soup we eat it for a few days, I give some away, and we still have a lot left over.  I've tried to freeze it with all of it put together, but the noodles don't unthaw well.  So this time I decided to freeze it before the noodle stage.  I can add those when I unthaw it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...