Friday, October 2, 2009

Hawaiin Haystacks


This is a tasty dish that I learned during my college years.  We had a social get together on Friday called Friday Forum where we had a nice lunch  for $1 (very in a college student budget).  I thought it was a little weird the first time I heard about it, but it was tasted great.  I didn't have it again for years.  My husband loves it (just this week asked for it for his birthday lunch) and its good because you can adapt the toppings to fit different 'tastebuds'.  You can put basically whatever you like on top.  It's also a nice meal to make if you are having company because you can feed lots of people for not much money.

Recipe for 2 adults and 2 children.  You can double or triple the sauce and rice for more.

1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
3 c water
6 chicken tenders, cooked then shredded or cubed.
1 can cream of chicken soup
chicken broth
pepper to taste

Cook the rice in water for amount of time on bag of rice.
For the sauce, mix the soup and half of a can of broth (or water when you are done with cooking chicken). Heat and add as much pepper as desired.  Add chicken.

Serve rice onto plate, top with sauce/chicken mixture.  Then add the toppings of your choice.

When I have all day, I will put the raw chicken into the crockpot and top with soup and broth. Cook on low for 4-6 hours (longer if you will be using breasts instead of tenders). The chicken is so tender it just falls apart when you go to shred it.


topping ideas:
pineapple tidbits
green onions, sliced
grated cheese
crunchy chow mein noodles
chopped tomatoes
chopped mushrooms
black olives, sliced
slivered almonds

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I forgot about this and now I'm going to try it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too... Haystacks are one of those good bham memories!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...