Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Italian Meatloaf

Give it a chance! I generally don't like meatloaf, but I LOVE this one!!

2 lbs lean ground beef (or 1/2 ground beef/1/2 ground turkey)
1/3 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1 lb sausage
2 - 3 cups FRESH whole basil leaves
2 c. breadcrumbs
1 med onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 T dried oregano
1 teas ground black pepper
3 large eggs
2 cups of your favorite Marinara sauce, divided
Garnish:
Mozzarella slices
10 small basil leaves
Optional: 1 c. chopped, drained, rinsed oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes

Preheat oven to 375 F.  Mash all meats and shredded cheese in large bowl. Saute the onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil til the onions are translucent.  Add the remaining ingredients to the meat mixture-- mash between every few ingredient to get a thorough mix. Mix 3/4 cup of the Marinara into the meat mixture. Shape into a loaf.  Place into 3 loaf pans. Brush the tops of the loaves with remaining Marinara. Bake meatloaf until cooked through (about 160 - 170F). Check at 65 minutes.
Serve meatloaf hot, with a slice of mozzarella melted on its side. Garnish with a leaf of basil.

3 comments:

  1. This recipe is awesome!!!! even my non beef eating Maya liked the little bit I dished up for her (she generally won't come near beef so she usually gets something else). LOVED it so much I just ate more. ahhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is ... ahhhhh! I'm so glad I found that recipe. Basil is one of my all-time favorites and this just makes it even better. BUT, using fresh basil is a must. I've tried dried... and YUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll try the recipe this weekend. It sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...