Friday, January 7, 2011

Soup in a Pumpkin

I've been waiting to make pumpkin soup in a pumpkin since I read Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle book a couple of years ago. Since we grow pumpkins in our garden, I was set to do it last year, but didn't get around to it before the mold did.

This year, I set aside the pumpkins to try again and decided I better hurry up. So, tonight was the night!!  I have been eating very limited gluten, dairy and sugar the past couple of months, and so I didn't follow the recipe to a tee. Which, I'm sure is why I have only rated this three stars. I'm sure that this soup is great!! But... alas, mine was very fun to make but didn't quite make the cut for me.  I do have to say that it tastes a bit better to me now (10 minutes after making it) than it did right after it came out of the oven, so perhaps, I'll try again in the morning and it will be fabulous!  And, my pumpkin shell got too soft and the bottom burst out when I tried to remove the soup to puree it. Maybe I cooked it a bit too long.



Since it isn't fabulous, try Barbara's recipe if you decide to brave it. I omitted the sage (I have some but couldn't find it) and the milk and added parsley and thyme.  I like the consistency and the flavors of the garlic and spices.  Maybe its the pumpkin flavor that I'm not so fond of, but it is ultra healthy so I gave it an extra star!  (In the picture, I've added a dollop of yogurt after the pureeing.)

But... its got me to thinking that I might be able to figure out a way to make pumpkin pie soup in a pumpkin as a dessert. Hmm.. Sounds yummier to me, but it might not be gluten, dairy and sugar free. Oh, well.

1 comment:

  1. here is what I did with my pumpkin seeds, clean them up, and then seasons them with some seasoning and then slowly baked them 250 degrees or so for a wee bit. They tasted crunchy,and hit the spot. Most of the family like them. I did put some heat to them but can not remember what I used. Experiment, have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...