Sunday, January 16, 2011

Very Delicious Ham and Potato Soup

For Christmas we had a spiral cut ham and there was plenty of leftovers.  I searched for a recipe where I could use some of the leftovers.  This recipe was SO good!  I would have posted a picture, but we ate it too fast.  I think that next time I will double it so I can have some leftovers.  The good part about using the food processor was the veggies were so small that you could add other vegetables without anyone noticing.

Ingredients


2-3 stalks celery, diced or chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 T oil of your choice
3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1 cup diced cooked ham
3 3/4 cups water
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground pepper, or to taste

5 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk

Directions

1.I used my small food processor to chop the celery and onion.  I sauted them in canola oil in my stockpot.  Add the potatoes, ham and water.  Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.  Keep an eye on the water level, you may have to add more during cooking.  Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.

2.In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.

3.Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.  Garnish with shredded cheese or green onions.

4 comments:

  1. Do you drain the potatoes or leave it in the pan so it's the broth? Just checking - sounds delicious!!! Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question Kay. You don't have to drain the water. When you add the milk mixture to the cooked potatoes the mixture makes it really thick. The water in the potatoes makes it more "soupy".

    ReplyDelete
  3. what did it taste like, why did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flavors went together very well. The onion was not overpowering and I liked the subtle taste of the celery. The addition of the honey smoked ham was very tasty. The potato soup that I usually make has cheese and broccoli in it and I liked the flavor of this one better.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...