Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Storing fruit

Have you ever bought too much fruit at the store?  Do you like to have fruit that tastes good in the fall and winter?  I've got a tip for you.  We love grapes, watermelon, honeydew, peaches, and nectarines a lot.  During the fall and winter though, the fruit is never ripe and doesn't taste as good as it does when you get it in season.  What I do is spray a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with cooking spray.  Then I slice up my fruit and put it in a single layer on the jelly roll pan.  I put the pan in my freezer.  When the fruit is frozen (in individual pieces) I put it in freezer Ziplock bags or in tupperware type storage boxes.  Then you can take a few pieces out and enjoy when you want them.  Grapes and bananas are really good as a snack.  The fruit is also good to use in smoothies too because it is already frozen and makes it a little thicker than when using fresh fruit.

4 comments:

  1. Watermelon does great! We used to use it at Zuka for smoothies in the summer and it was good. I'm going to buy one at the roadside fruit stand this week and eat as much as we can, then freeze it. Most of the time we only eat about a third of it and I hate to waste money, so this is a good way to store it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also freeze it on sticks in the summer and it's a yummy watermelon pop because of all the water in it. Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...