Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Semi-homemade pizza




I've been checking out children's cookbooks from the library lately since Jen told me about some of the ones that she's read recently.  All of them listed mini pizzas as fun for kids to make and eat, so I decided that we would give it a try.  I bought the premade dough from Publix (a local grocery store).  I've tried to make dough, but kneading and I don't go well together so this was a good solution.  The great part about homemade pizza is that you can add whatever toppings you want, and as much as you want.

     My daughter doesn't like red sauce on her pizza, so she made the pizza with ricotta, mozzerella and parm cheeses.

    On my dough I put a light layer of Bertolli spaghetti sauce, then topped it with ricotta, calapari tomatoes, green pepper slices (from my garden!), pineapple, mozzerella, and parm cheese.  It was so good!

  My advice: when using fresh dough, brush it with olive oil and cook for about five minutes, then top with what you would like and bake until the cheese is melted and crust is done.  The time it took to get the crust to be done made the cheese a little browner than we like.  Also, for the white pizza, I would mix the ricotta with oregano, parsley, garlic powder, and onion powder.  Just to add a little more flavor.  They were really good though.  My youngest daughter doesn't usually like pizza (or dinner in general) and she ate two pieces.

2 comments:

  1. What fun! I'm glad that your girls enjoyed it!! ... Isn't it fun to eat food from your OWN garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too celebrate when Maya will eat what we eat! I need to have her participate more; this looks like fun

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...