Thursday, December 24, 2009

Baked Gnocchi

A few years ago I found a book that I just love.  "Under the Tuscan Sun".  It is much different than the movie.  The way she writes makes me feel as if I am there with her.  Throughout her books (I think there are 3 on Tuscany) she has recipes that she learned while living in Italy.  One was gnocchi.  It is a dumpling made of potato.  The way she described it made it sound wonderful.  So I've been thinking about it for the past 5 years.  A few months ago I checked out quite a few childrens cookbooks and one had a recipe for Baked Gnocchi.  I was very excited and looked at 5 different grocery stores to find some.  The recipe was simple, boil the gnocchi in chicken broth for 5-8 minutes until they float.  Put in pan and cover with cheeses.  Place under broiler.  Unfortunately it didn't tast very good.  The gnocchi was very chewy (maybe they weren't done even though it said when they float they are done?) and I was so dissapointed.  So here's my cooking flop.  I don't know if maybe the brand I bought wasn't very good or if to have good gnocchi you have to make your own.  Either way, I'm not trying that recipe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...