Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Cucumber and Tomato Salad

Tomato and Cucumber Salad 
(recipe from Lion House International Recipes cookbook)
3 med tomatoes, sliced in 1/8 inch slices
2 med cucumbers, peeled and sliced in 1/8 inch slices
1/2 small oncion, chopped
1/4 c red wine vinegar
1/4 c veg oil
2 t sugar
1/2 t salt
pepper to taste
1/2 t cilantro (optional)
In medium bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumbers and onions.  In small bowl whisk together oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.  Pour over vegetables and toss to mix well.  Let stand in refrigerator for one hour before serving.
    Personal notes:  I use canola oil when making this recipe.  I've also used many other vinegars to change the taste slightly and they have all worked for me.  Lemon juice can also be used to substitute vinegar if you want.  When I make this recipe I do not slice the vegetables as directed in the recipe (and in the picture).  I just chop the tomatoes and cucumbers into squares and have found that I like the flavor a lot the first day, and even better the second day for leftovers.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...