Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Twice baked potatoes

A few years ago I went through a Rachael Ray phase.  Can you blame me?  30-minutes to make a whole meal?  I thought that was great.  I had a Barnes and Noble gift card, so I picked up Rachael Ray's Classic cookbook.  I've tried a few recipes and liked the ones that I've tried.  One was her twice baked potato.  If you get the big baking potatoes you can have one of these as your meal.  A smaller one could be a side to a meal.


Super Stuffed Potatoes with the Works
4 slices bacon, chopped
2 potatoes
1/2 cup sour cream
2 scallions/green onions, chopped fine
1 cup shredded cheese of your choice
1)In a non-stick skillet brown bacon pieces, then drain on a paper towel.
2)Pierce potatoes with a fork.  Microwave on high for 12 minutes.  Let them cool for a few minutes before handling.
3)Preheat broiler.
4)Carefully split potatoes and scoop our flesh into a bowl.  Combine with sour cream, scallions, cheese, and browned bacon.  Scoop back into potatoe skins and place under broiler to lightly brown the tops.

My notes: I add 1 tablespoon of margarine to make it a bit more creamy.  It is also easy to make as a "light" dish.  Substitue turkey bacon, reduced fat sour cream, and low fat cheese.

2 comments:

  1. Look at that.. You are so on top of it--have low fat solutions! What-a-cook! Looks yummy. I think I'd better try to low-fat method first or I'll never be able to switch! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit...I've never tried the low fat version. But I think that it would be good. I really like turkey bacon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...